Monday, January 23, 2012

Ice breaker

A few words of introduction: I'm a PhD student working in a computational biology lab, and I've decided to start documenting some of the tips and tricks I've found useful in my line of work. I do mostly C++ programming in conjunction with MatLab for data analysis and presentation. There are also lots of other things I've picked up like bits and pieces of perl, shell scripting, Simulink and various UNIX utilities. My goal is to pass on what I've learned to others doing computational work so that hopefully they can become a little more efficient. Topics I plan to address include:
  • Setting up an open source (read:Microsoft-free) development environment
  • Version control (with subversion)
  • How to write your own makefiles
  • Tips for effective optimizations in MatLab
  • Using perl or shell scripts to automate simulation protocols
  • Making polished posters in Adobe Illustrator

Hopefully the acquired wisdom of my 4+ years of graduate school will be able to help someone else get their project running more smoothly.

No comments:

Post a Comment